The most important asset we have is our team. As a craft spirits leader, Wonderland Distilling offers a variety of opportunities for hospitality careers. Our Tasting Room and Barrel Room present new challenges for those who seek to put their skills to use.
Retail Operations Manager
Title: General Manager
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
The General Manager (“GM”) leads the day-to-day operations of Wonderland Distilling’s downtown Muskegon (Lakeside district) retail operations, which comprise a tasting room/cocktail bar and merchandise/other product sales space. The GM has the important task of leading by example: knowing Wonderland Distilling’s products inside and out, setting the right tone at the top with retail operations employees (bar staff and servers) regarding personal presentation and polish and knowledge of the company’s products compliance with company standards, promoting a strong and positive work environment in which excellence in serving customers and professional demeanor are valued, and harnessing all these elements to drive growth and profitability. Wonderland Distilling’s tasting room / cocktail bar is the “front line” with the public and is an active symbol for the brand.
The GM’s growth objective is to create and continuously improve a successful and streamlined cocktail bar operation which showcases the adventurous attitude and culture of Wonderland Distilling. The individual filling this position must be highly self-driven, organized, with a professional yet fun attitude, and a passion for creating amazing cocktails and engaging with customers. This individual must be able to, and will be expected to, innovate by contributing to the design of menus, particularly cocktail but also food offerings, through offering ideas for cocktails and helping the organization innovate. Finally, this individual must be customer-centric: ready, willing, and able to step in at the get-go to engage with customers and socialize them to the Wonderland brand; ready, willing, and able to step in and appropriately address potentially negative customer situations or experiences by turning them around wherever possible.
- Labor Management
- Oversee all cocktail bar staff including bartenders, servers, and general service team members. Scheduling, hiring, reviews and terminations.
- Define, execute and maintain a positive staff environment that fits the Wonderland culture.
- Communication and training of Standard Operating Procedures, Safety Standards, and new and current menu items.
- Ensure labor costs are in-line with defined budgets.
- Performing role duties of all cocktail bar staff from time to time.
- Inventory & Product Management
- Beverage, food, retail and supplies ordering.
- Weekly inventory reporting.
- Portion control and waste management.
- Cost analysis on all inventory items.
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures are developed and executed as it relates to employee actions.
- Develop and maintain a quality program for all products ensuring presentation, consistent formulation/production, and consistent customer communication.
- Maintain company cocktail program; identify and continually innovate as it relates to cocktail options which best utilize the Company’s distilled spirits.
- Sales Management
- Develop and maintain accurate and efficient POS systems.
- Cash reconciliation, bank deposits, and daily End of Day reporting
- Work with the Chief Marketing Officer on product sales strategies.
- Maintain customer loyalty program (Work with Chief Marketing Officer)
- Newsletter, communications, and special events
- Membership renewals and program growth initiatives
- Community Engagement
- Continued engagement with local businesses for a positive and active role in community development.
- Maintain high standard of cleanliness, directing staff to accomplish, in all areas (bar area, bathrooms, front and back entrances)
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Ideal candidate would have previous management experience of 2 years or more
- Excellent communication skills and ability to be accountable
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products; decent understanding of Excel
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both individually and part of a team
- Willingness and ability to work nights and weekends as/if needed
Progression potential within the company, including to salaried position, depending on performance reviews after a reasonable period of time with the company.
This full-time hourly position begins at a rate that is commensurate with both previous experience and abilities. Those interested in applying for the position should fill out the form below.